Snacks are big in our house! As much as I try not to let my kids have too many before meals, what can I say, they get it from their Mama! It’s inevitable that someone will open the pantry door and, when they do, the floodgates are opened. More often than not, I cave. So, In an attempt to create better-for-us options, I searched long and hard to discover a homemade snack that would tie these kiddos over until dinner. A task I wasn’t sure could even be possible!
Searching on Pinterest one day, I came across the following recipe from Melissa and her website Bless This Mess. I’ve been making them almost every week since. MY KIDS LOVE THEM! They are no-bake and you probably already have the ingredients in your pantry. She even includes recipes for several other variations that look AMAZING and I can’t wait to try them all!
My family’s go-to combination is the Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Oatmeal. I’ve included the recipe below and it’s totally worth giving a try!
Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Energy Balls
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
- 1 cup dry oats
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- dash of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
1. In a medium bowl, add all of the ingredients.
2. Combine well and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (The mixture should be a little sticky).
3. Use a spoon to scoop about a tablespoon of the cookie ball mixture into your hand. Roll into a ball and repeat with the remaining mixture. This should make about 12 oatmeal energy balls. Store them covered in the fridge for up to a week OR in the freezer for much longer.
…And voila! The perfect after school snack!
My kids think they’re eating cookies but I know the truth! It’s our little secret. 😉
Click Here for this and other variations on Bless This Mess.